Reading Notes: Canterbury Tales, Part A





I picked the Canterbury Tales for this week’s readings because I have heard of them before. I feel like because they are one of the more famous Middle English works that I should read them to understand references to them in other works and in real life. I will be doing my reading notes specifically on the Story of the Summoner. This story is interesting because from the beginning of any story you usually expect to be on the side of the main character. In this story the main character is the summoner on his way to town. During his journey to the next town he finds a man who he later finds out to be a devil. This doesn’t sway the summoner and instead he is delighted. He continues his journey with the devil trying to learn how to to take things from people better. At the end of the story the devil turns on him as they are want to do and he is dragged back to Hell. I feel like this is a very interesting story because of the twist at the end. Nowadays we don’t see this as a twist because it is done all the time but perhaps back when this was first written it was a twist that people did not see coming.

Bibliography: The overall reading notes is from the Canterbury Tales unit. The particular story of the Summoner comes from: The Chaucer Story Book by Eva March Tappan (1908).

Comments