Long ago there lived
a man named Nenpetro. He was blessed with not only two beautiful
daughters but also all of the riches he could ever desire. Nenpetro
named his two daughters Lunga and Lenga. Nenpetro loved his daughters
dearly, and only wanted the best for them. So when the time came for
them to get married Nenpetro decided that they would marry for love
and not for wealth or power.
“How can I ensure
my daughters will be taken care of when I am gone?” Nenpetro asked
his wife. “Many men will try to come and marry our daughters
because not only are they the most beautiful they come from a very
wealthy family.” His wife replied. “I must make sure I screen
their suitors to make sure they are here for my daughters and not
only here for their beauty or money.” Nenpetro said.
From that day on,
Nenpetro required that any suitor that came for his daughters’ hand
in marriage would have to know their names. This simple test would
ensure that they took the time to get to know his daughters before
asking for their hand in marriage. Many suitors came with lavish and
extravagant gifts, but all were turned down.
One day Nsassi, a
prince from a town quite far away came to see Nenpetro. He brought
along many gifts as well as his dog to try and convince Nenpetro Nsassi and I have come to marry your daughters. I have brought
gifts from far away lands that will surely make you an even richer
man.” said Nsassi. “Well met Nsassi. As you may have heard from
others I will only give my daughters’ hand in marriage to anyone
who can guess their names.” replied Nenpetro. “Why surely that is
an impossible task. Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell me their
names?” asked Nsassi. “I will not. Come back when you have
figured it out.” said Nenpetro.
Nsassi left feeling
depressed as he had seen the faces of Nenpetro’s beautiful
daughters and he knew that he could not live life without them. He
was so distressed that he left without taking his dog with him. The
dog decided that he would stay and try and find out the names of the
daughters. That very night Nenpetro called his daughters back for
dinner: “Lenga! Lunga! Dinner is ready!”. Nsassi’s dog heard
everything and decided to go straight home to let his master know.
Nsassi jumped for
joy when he heard what that his dog had brought him the names and
went straight to Nenpetro’s home to marry his daughters. Nenpetro
was true to his word and Nsassi lived happily ever after with
Nenpetro’s two daughters and his faithful dog.
Author’s Note: I
stayed pretty close to the original story. In the original story
Nsassi comes to see Nenpetro’s daughters and leaves without knowing
his names. His dog figures out their names and goes back to tell his
master. He keeps forgetting their names on the journey back home and
has to make the trip several times. Eventually they remember it and
go and get married. In my version I added the part about Nenpetro
wanting his daughters to marry for love and that is why he requires
his suitors to know his daughters’ names. In the original story it is never explained why Nenpetro wants people to know his daughters' names. I thought I would add some back story to why he thought it necessary.
Bibliography: The story I am refering to comes from the Congo Unit. It is the story: How Gazelle Got Married by Richard Edward Dennett (1898).

I think it's a cool idea to stay very true to the original story and just expand it to fit your interests! I always tend to diverge pretty hard from the source material, which can be fun, but sometimes I wonder what other cool writing strategies I'm missing out on. Adding backstory is also cool in its own right, whether or not you add it to the original story or make a whole new one. It really gives your writing potential to become part of the myth, which I just think is super cool.
ReplyDeleteGreat story! I like that you added subtle changes to explain and expand on the original story. I think a lot of the times, old tales like this one miss some of the details that would provide a complete story. I also like your use of dialog in the story. Great job and I look forward to reading more of your stories!
ReplyDeleteHowdy again Adrian! This was an enjoyable story, and I thought there was a little bit of humor in such an simple screen. Can you imagine if every proposal was as easy as knowing the person’s name? I think that the changes you made as explained in your author’s note helped flesh the original story out. Nice job on this one!
ReplyDelete