Week 5 Storytelling: Sindbad’s Last Voyage




“My Caliph! Thank you so much for seeing me!” Exclaimed Sindbad. “Why of course Sindbad. I am anxious to hear of your adventures. I debated sending men after you when you did not return in a timely manner. Tell me all that happened on your diplomatic journey to the King of Serendib.” Said the Caliph.

It was then that Sindbad regaled the Caliph with his adventures. Sindbad started off by telling the Caliph of his uneventful journey to the King of Serendib where he was welcomed graciously into his palace. There Sindbad waited until the King of Serendib could amass presents for the Caliph. When the king finally gathered all the presents he wanted to send Sindbad off with he allowed Sindbad to board a ship and sail home.

“Unfortunately that is when misfortune struck! I was captured by pirates who took all of the presents the King of Serendib sent for you. If that was not enough they also made me a slave.” Cried Sindbad. “That is terrible Sindbad, what did they have you do?” Gasped the Caliph.

Sindbad then launched into the second part of his tale where he described to him the wondrous island where he was sold into slavery. He also described his master, the one who forced him to hunt down and kill elephants with a bow. Sindbad described the misery he felt when he killed those majestic creatures and how one day they led him to an elephant graveyard so that he could harvest the tusks his master wanted without killing the elephants anymore. It was then that Sindbad told the Caliph about his master’s generosity to him after Sindbad showed him the graveyard and how his master proceeded to pay for Sindbad’s journey home and give him a small fortune for his good work.

“After sailing to mainland I joined a traveling company and took the long way back home. That is why I do not have any of the King’s gifts for you. However, this gold and ivory I have is mine and not part of the King’s gifts and that is why I should be allowed to keep them without penalty.” Said Sindbad with a devious smile.

Author’s Note: After reading the great feedback I got on my last story I implemented some of their ideas about how I should break up the dialogue. I took the original story of Sindbad’s last adventure and told it from a different point of view. I told it as the story Sindbad would have told the Caliph when he first returned home after his last journey. Sindbad always seemed to have the best luck and return home richer than he left so I wanted to add a little mystery to the end of the story to leave the interpretation up to the reader of what really happened. In the original story Sindbad takes the Caliph’s gifts to the King of Serendib and then while returning home he is captured by pirates and forced into slavery. While a slave he is forced to kill elephants for their tusks. When the elephants finally lead him to the elephant graveyard he is allowed to return home with a small fortune.

Bibliography: This reading note is about the Seven Voyages of Sindbad the Sailor as told in the Arabian Nights book by Andrew Lang

Comments

  1. Adrian,
    This was a great retelling! I like that you made the story about Sinbad telling what happened to him to the Caliph. I read The Voyages of Sinbad for my readings last week and some of the stories can get very repetitive so getting to read it in a different way was very nice! I think it would be easier to read if you spaced your story text out like you did your authors note, the text is a little squished and difficult to read. Other than that, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I read Sinbad last week. I'm always interested to see what other people will do with the same starting materials as me. I like that you made Sinbad finally stand up for himself. Even though no one ever takes him up on his offer, it bothered me that he always offered up all of his treasure. That's a nice character development that you've added and I'm interested if it could be explored further. Good luck with the rest of your writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment