Reading Notes: Homer’s Iliad, Part B





The start of the reading begins right after Patroclus’ death. After Hector killed him Hector took it upon himself to strip Patroclus of his armor. I find that sort of weird that Hector would strip Patroclus during the midst of battle but he does anyway. It proves a strategic choice because by taking Patroclus’ armor which is actually Achilles armor Hector is able to prevent Achilles from entering the fight later because no one goes into battle without their gear. Both the Greeks and the Trojans really want the body of Patroclus and so they both desperately fight in the battle. As Hector tries to retreat with the body Ajax the Great comes up and places his shield in a defensive position around it so that no Trojan can take it. Ajax then tells King Menelaus to have Antilŏchus run back to camp to try and convince Achilles to join the fight. They send for Achilles because they hope that he will join the fight because it is over his best friend Patroclus’ body. This news of course rouses Achilles to fight with the Greeks but he cannot because Hector stole his armor.

I think it is very admiring that the Greeks are willing to die for the body of Patroclus. He sat out from the battles almost the same amount of time as Achilles and yet every single of the Greeks comes to fight for his body. I find it equally interesting that the Trojans want the body as much as the Greeks. I can understand it a little if they are perhaps fighting for Achilles’ armor but they had already gotten it. The only other explanation I have for them wanting the body is so they can trade it for other Trojan bodies that the Greeks had taken from the battlefield.

Bibliography: This reading note covers Homer's Iliad which is retold by Alfred Church.

Comments