Before reading the
articles I would like to add that I understand where both sides are
coming from in the praise versus no praise debate. I really like
Carol Dweck’s opinion where one should praise the process because I
have seen firsthand what happens when you just praise innate
qualities and how unhelpful and damaging that is. On the other hand
what you say about Alfie Kohn seems very interesting. I would say
that in a perfect world praise should have no role in feedback and
that you should only give feedback on what they should work on and
you waste time by telling them they did good on something.
Unfortunately we are not robots and everyone needs a little praise to
keep them going.
The first article I
read was Presence, Not Praise: How To Cultivate a Healthy Relationship with Achievement. I really liked what the author said about how if you praise a child
they will think all activities are useless unless they get praise
from it. That is that doing the activity is just to get praise and
that the activity has no meaning at all. The example they used in
that after a child finished drawing a picture they looked up at the
adult for praise but instead of praise the adult simply engaged the
child on what they are drawing. I think that is a better way to
approach things and I will start treating any children I meet like
that. In the past I know I have been guilty of jumping straight to
praise if a child brings me something.
The second article I
read was Criticizing (common criticisms of) praise.
I really liked what Alfie Kohn said about how we use praise to impose
our will on people that have less power than the praiser. Alfie also
talked about how people attribute her work to mean something else
than what she is saying. That is for sure true as I believed she did
not like praise at all. This is wrong as she pointed out in her
article that she has issues with praise that are different from what
people normally attribute to her.
After reading both articles I think I have fallen back in the Carol Dweck school of thought where I think people should be praised on their effort and not their innate qualities. But as Alfie Kohn says I must not praise effort too much of else the person I am giving the praise to will think they are a loser because I am praising them simply for their effort. It definitely is a fine line to walk.
After reading both articles I think I have fallen back in the Carol Dweck school of thought where I think people should be praised on their effort and not their innate qualities. But as Alfie Kohn says I must not praise effort too much of else the person I am giving the praise to will think they are a loser because I am praising them simply for their effort. It definitely is a fine line to walk.
Comments
Post a Comment