Reading Notes: Canterbury Tales, Part B



 
For this reading note I will cover the story of Little Hugh. I was warned at the beginning of the story that it would be anti-semitic but it still did not prepare me for the antisemitism in the story. The story starts out with a strong Christian start. It has a little boy named Hugh who loves signing hymns. He gets an older boy to teach it to him and when he learns it he starts singing it every where he goes. After a while the story says that some Jews decide to kill him because he is singing that song. After killing the boy he continues to sing the song and when the Christians find him they punish the Jews. The story is terribly anti-semitic but I am glad we have an example of this so that we can learn from our mistakes. If I retell this story I will definitely remove the anti-semitic part of it.

Bibliography: The overall reading notes is from the Canterbury Tales unit. The particular story of Little Hugh comes from: The Chaucer Story Book by Eva March Tappan (1908). 

Comments